Wednesday, 11 February 2009
« Browser cookies: the path is case sensit... | Main | WORKAROUND: SharePoint Designer shows fi... »
Hopefully this may save someone some time....

A few days ago I changed the Url of one of my MOSS site collections by:
  • Going to Central Admin-> Operations ->Alternate Access Mappings and updating my default zone url to my new url
  • Using the IIS management console to change the host header of my site collection's web application to my new url
This all worked fine for a few days, until one of my users tried to edit a page's 'page settings & schedule' and received this error:

System.ArgumentException. Value does not fall within the expected range.    
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.GetMetadataForUrl(String bstrUrl, Int32 METADATAFLAGS, Guid& pgListId, Int32& plItemId, Int32& plType, Object& pvarFileOrFolder)     
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.GetMetadataForUrl(String bstrUrl, Int32 METADATAFLAGS, Guid& pgListId, Int32& plItemId, Int32& plType, Object& pvarFileOrFolder)     
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.GetMetadataForUrl(String relUrl, Int32 mondoProcHint, Guid& listId, Int32& itemId, Int32& typeOfObject, Object& fileOrFolder)     
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.GetFileOrFolderObject(String strUrl)     
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.CommonUtilities.GetFileFromUrl(String url, SPWeb web)


When i searched the SharePoint log files for this error, i found it along with a reference to my old site url, which made me think my approach for renaming a site collection url hadn't been 100% successful...

Some googling produced this post by Stefan Go├čner ( whose blog has helped me out with many a strange error, dating back to his MCMS days). Although his post relates to backing up & restoring to a different site, the end result would appear to be the same:

<snip>
The reason for this problem is that backup/restore does not adjust the references from the publishing page objects in the Pages library to their Page Layouts. These URLs are sometimes stored as absolute URLs including the server name. And this server name is the server name of the old server farm which cannot be resolved on the new farm.
</snip>

Running Stefan's FixPagelayout utility fixed the problem.




Wednesday, 11 February 2009 15:43:46 (GMT Standard Time, UTC+00:00)  #      Comments [0]  |  Trackback
All comments require the approval of the site owner before being displayed.
Name
E-mail
(will show your gravatar icon)
Home page

Comment (Some html is allowed: a@href@title, strike) where the @ means "attribute." For example, you can use <a href="" title=""> or <blockquote cite="Scott">.  

Enter the code shown (prevents robots):

Live Comment Preview